Itongadol.- Israeli official tells \’Post\’ that government is delaying announcement as not to "distract attention away from the issue of Hamas."
Israel delayed advancing plans for new settler homes as a public relations gesture to focus international public opinion on the Fatah Hamas unity deal as the true stumbling block to peace.
“If we were to declare that we had advanced plans [for new settler homes] now, it would distract attention away from the issue of Hamas,” an Israeli official told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.
Last week Israel suspended negotiating with the Palestinians to protest Fatah’s unity with Hamas, a terrorist group which has refused to recognize Israel or renounce violence against it.
It’s important to maintain the focus on the problem of negotiating with a terrorist group and not sideline the situation with news of more building plans that would only make the international community point a finger at Israel, the official said.
The delay was first publicized by Army Radio and the Council of Jewish Communities of Judea and Samaria.
According to its deputy head Yigal Dilmoni Wednesday’s meeting of the Higher Planning Council for Judea and Samaria was canceled on orders from Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon.