Negotiations between settlers and the government’s representative Minister Benny Begin on the evacuation of the Migron outpost have broken down, Ynet learned. The settlers said that Begin withdrew the understandings the two sides had agreed on. Begin is scheduled to hold a press briefing at the Prime Minister’s Office later on Monday where he will announce his resignation as mediator in the negotiations.
Earlier this month, it was reported that the sides reached a compromise whereby the outpost will be moved to public land some 2 kilometers from its current location. The Civil Administration was to decide what to do with Migron’s permanent structures.
The deal was set to be signed this week but negotiations ultimately failed. Is has yet to be officially determined who owns the land on which the Migron outpost sits.
According to agreements reached between the parties, the court was meant to rule on who owns the land before any permanent structures would be razed. It was also agreed that the residents would move to the new location only after the completion of the construction work. The government promised to finish planning the construction of permanent structures in the new location within nine months, after which infrastructure work will commence.
Binyamin Regional Council’s Migron is the biggest outpost in the West Bank and includes 60 structures. Palestinian residents and Peace Now petitioned the High Court against the outpost’s legality in October 2006. Last August judges ruled that the State must clear Migron by the end of March 2012.
Negotiations on the evacuation have been going on for the past year and a half, during which various compromises were raised. The dispute over house razing ultimately prevented any agreement from being signed.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urged Migron residents to accept a compromise similar to the current agreement. "This is a good proposal, it does not solve all the problems, but can solve the Migron problem," he said.